- Age divisions are based on the USA Softball age requirement guidelines.
- Age divisions offered: 6U, 8U, 10U, 12U for girls age 4 1/2 through sixth grade.
- All registrants should register their player in the correct age group. Email VHGSoftball@gmail.com with any specific requests following registration submission. The VH Girls Softball Board will make decisions on all age division change requests prior to evaluations (if completed) and parents / guardians will be contacted. Multiple factors are considered when reviewing these requests.
- In alignment with our sanctioning body, fall registrants are placed into the age group that they will participate in the following Spring season.
- For the Competitive Play League (CPL) and All-Stars, a child must fall in line with the age requirement to play in that particular age division.
- Email us if you have a sixth grader who is interested in playing but does not meet the age requirements.
Coaches (regular season)
- During registration, parents or guardians can request to be a Head Coach or Assistant Coach. If you are not formally selected after registration, we encourage parents and those with experience to assist as needed per the Head Coach’s approval. We value our parent volunteers!
- Head Coaches are required to complete and pass a background check following selection. Head and Assistant coaches are also required to complete an online coaches safety course before the first game according to the "Coach Safely Act". This course will be sent from the Vestavia Hills Parks and Rec department and must be completed prior to the season. In some cases, coaches may have to go to the Vestavia Hills Parks and Rec to complete the requirements.
- Head coaches are provided practice balls, game balls and batting tees before practices begin through the league equipment coordinator. All materials must be returned at the end of the season.. All fields are equipped with battings cages and screens. Coaches can request a bownet from the league. All equipment is released with a signed check from the Head Coach. Upon equipment return, the check is returned by the equipment manager.
- Scheduling requests for practice times will be submitted following player drafts. Coaches will choose practice times in draft order. Scheduling requests are handling with our softball coordinator at Vestavia Hills Parks and Rec.
- Head Coaches will be required to attend a coaches meeting (online or in person) in addition to the league evaluations (when relevant) and draft night. The coaches meeting may include a coaches clinic to discuss best practices and league expectations.
Equipment and Uniforms
- FALL: The league will provide a jersey and socks for all players.
- SPRING: The league will provide a jersey, belt, and socks for all players.
- The league will distribute an equipment coupon to Dicks for the spring season. VHGSA will receive a percentage back to go towards our program.
- We allow a scholarship per season for those in need of financial support. Email us if you need assistance.
- All girls will need the following equipment.
- helmet with face guard (required to bat)
- face mask (required to be in the field)
- Prior to the start of the season, teams will have 1-2 practices a week. Those practices may occur on a weeknight or weekend and are determined by the Head coach.
- Coaches have the option to continue to practice once the season begins. This will not exceed more than one practice.
- Clinics will be offered in the Fall to all participants. There may be a fee incurred for any training given from outside coaches and for any pitching instructional clinics.
- Prior to the start of the season, teams will have at least 2 practices a week. Those practices may occur on a weeknight or weekend and are determined by the Head coach.
- Coaches will continue practice once the season begins and a player can expect to practice at least once a week in addition to the two regular season games.
- Clinics will be offered in the Spring to all participants. There may be a fee incurred for any training given from outside coaches and for any pitching instructional clinics.
- Games are scheduled once per week on Sunday afternoons. Girls will play approximately 5-6 games. 10U and 12U age divisions can expect to play local leagues around the area while younger age divisions will play mostly inter-league games at Liberty Park.
- For interested coaches and players, the Competitive Play League (CPL) per USA Softball is an opportunity for girls looking for more practice and competition in their age division. Each age division will require a tryout and selected players can expect an extra practice each week and at least 1-2 Saturday tournaments that will take place during the Fall season. CPL single games may be scheduled as well per the Head Coach.
- Rec Head Coaches are eligible to submit their interest in coaching a CPL team and are required to facilitate tryouts if selected.
- All-Stars per USA Softball is not offered in the Fall.
- Games are scheduled twice per week. Double headers could occur. Girls will not play during Spring Break or other holiday weekends acknowledged by the Vestavia Hills school calendar.
- The Spring season will include a 10-12 game schedule. The final week(s) of the season for 6U, 8U, 10U and 12U will include league playoffs or a tournament.
- VHGSA will offer a CPL team in each age division for the Spring season per interest. The Competitive Play League (CPL) per USA Softball is available to girls looking for more practice and playing opportunity in their age division. CPL will require a tryout and selected players can expect an extra practice each week and at least 2 Saturday tournaments that will take place during the Spring season.
- All-Stars takes place after the Spring rec season and players are selected for this by league coaches and formally announced at the end of the season.
Vestavia Hills CPL - (more Information)
- Players can further develop by being considered for the Vestavia Hills CPL Team which is part of the Competitive Play league (CPL) operating under USA Softball of Alabama. CPL is an option for players looking for more practice and competitive playing opportunities in addition to the rec season. For a CPL team to form in the fall, the league must have interested players and an approved rec Head Coach willing to organize and lead a team. In the spring, it is the goal of VHGSA to have a CPL team for each age division.
- Rec Head Coaches are eligible to submit their interest in coaching a CPL team. The CPL Head Coach for each division is voted on and approved by the VHGSA board after peer coach approval. Selected coaches must have proven leadership and strength of character both on and off the field.
- Teams are responsible for the cost of a uniform and umpire fees.
- Spring CPL is separate from Fall CPL and coaches and players must resubmit interest for tryout and selection.
- The Vestavia Hills CPL Team, within each age group offered, is selected based on tryouts that occur prior to the Spring rec season. CPL players can expect to practice once a week in addition to their rec practice schedule and play in at least 2 Saturday tournaments during the Spring rec season. Coaches will determine the tournament schedule based on the USA Softball of Alabama tournament calendar.
- CPL plays by USA Softball rules per the USA Softball website.
Vestavia Hills Girls All-Stars (more information)
- The All-Star season is available to all age divisions after the Spring rec season for players and families who are looking to extend their season and compete beyond the Vestavia Hills rec league.
- The All-Star player selection process is determined based on a players’ rec season performance and Head Coach submissions. The All-Star selection process is an in-person meeting of rec Head Coaches and is overseen by VHGSA board members. All-Stars will be announced towards the end of the rec season.
- Rec Head Coaches will submit their interest to be an All-Star Coach, and the board will approve Head Coaches or handle the selection process if there are multiple coaches interested. Selected coaches must have proven leadership and strength of character both on and off the field.
- Teams will fundraise or agree to pay for the necessary funds for uniforms and other related fees.
- Head Coaches determine the tournament schedule based on the USA Softball tournament calendar. All-Star tournaments are played throughout the month of June and interested players should be aware of this level of commitment. 2024 dates will be posted when available.
- *As of November 1, 2022, VHGSA Bylaws and League Rules are currently under review but will be posted prior to the start of the 2024 Spring season. Please email specific questions to VHGSoftball@gmail.com or to request a copy of the current bylaws.
- Please reference the “Downloads” section of our website for general park rules. The VHGSA board holds the right to amend rules at any point before a rec season begins and will notify coaches before the season begins.
- Post-season All-Star rules can be found on the USA Softball website.
- Most practices and games are played at Liberty Park Softball Complex, but we also utilize the softball field(s) at Pizitz Middle School, Cahaba Heights and Wald Park. Some age groups may travel locally to compete against other parks. Please reference the locations section of our website for addresses.
- Field Closures: Please check Vestavia Parks and Recreation updates at www.statusme.com for field closures. You may also sign up for e-mail alerts at www.statusme.com to stay up to date. We encourage all families to do this!
- Weather Alert System: Your Vestavia Hills Parks and Rec locations have a weather alert system. The following process is followed during inclement weather per the Perry Weather Procedures for LP, Wald & CH:
- Once the siren goes off; everyone must clear the fields, immediately. There are 3 long horns for the All Clear signal. Until the 3 long sirens go off, there is still lightning being detected in the area; so no one is allowed on the fields.
- There is also a flashing light on the Perry weather system. If that is still flashing, that means lighting is still in the area. We want to be sure every coach and umpire understands what to do when the storm alert sirens go off.
- Umpires are key to making everyone get off of the fields, being in constant contact with your crews helps everything go smoothly in all areas. The last thing we need is umpires letting kids play while there is lightning in the area. Over communicating with your umpires is never a mistake when it comes to ensuring a safe playing field.
- Please touch base with all coaches and umpires to make sure they understand the proper guidelines and procedures for lightning / weather alerts.
Vestavia VTX and other Vestavia Hills travel teams (50% + players) Tryouts Posted here:
Please send additional questions about our league to firstname.lastname@example.org. All registration site questions on the Parks and Rec site should be emailed to Bevia Robinson at email@example.com or 205.978.0177.